QCWA provides support and friendship for women of all ages in all areas of the state, rural and city. Handcraft, cookery, photography, international study are a few of the many activities. We lobby to improve conditions for women and their families.
History of Dayboro QCWA
The Country Women’s Association of Australia (CWA or CWAA) is the largest women’s organisation in Australia. It has 44,000 members across 1855 branches. Its aims are to improve the conditions for country women and children and to try to make life better for women and their families, especially those women living in rural and remote Australia. The organisation is self-funded, nonpartisan and nonsectarian.
The Country Women’s Association was formed in 1922, initially with chapters in both New South Wales and Queensland. South Australia followed in 1926, initially as the “Burra Country Women’s Service Association” with Mary Jane Warnes as its founder and first President. A metropolitan branch was formed in Adelaide in 1928. By 1936 there was a branch in each of the States and territories of Australia. The formation of a federal body was discussed in 1943 and was agreed in 1945 by a meeting of all state presidents. The First Annual Conference of the C.W.A. of Australia was held in Adelaide in 1946. In 1947 delegates were appointed to go to the Associated Country Women of the World Conference in Amsterdam.
During the depression years, the CWA helped those in need with food and clothing parcels. During World War II, the CWA provided meals for the troops at Quorn, South Australia and Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, their efforts being rated one of the best voluntary war time services in Australia. CWA members also made camouflage nets and knitted balaclavas and socks for the troops. In 1992, the CWA of Australia was awarded the RSL Anzac Peace Prize in recognition of their outstanding effort in promoting international understanding and contributing to world peace in accordance with best traditions exemplified by the ANZAC spirit.