History

Dayboro War Memorial Grounds

The Dayboro War Memorial Grounds were officially opened on 8th October 1955 by Sir Raymond Huish, C.B.E., State President Returned Sailors, Soldiers & Airmen’s Imperial League of Australia.

The need for a sports ground suitable for all types of recreation and also a rodeo had been long felt in Dayboro, so when the War Memorial Committee decided to commemorate the memory of soldiers of both World Wars, it purchased a piece of land for that purpose. After much untiring effort by the Committee and calls for contributions in time, money and labour from the community, the grounds were opened with a sports day being held.

A show ring, refreshment area, bar and toilets had been constructed.

Dayboro War Memorial Association

1955 Committee

  • Chairman: R.A. Cruice
  • Treasurer: W.E. Brunsden
  • Joint Secretaries: F.F.A. Kelly & W.A. Thorpe
DAYBORO’S FIRST SHOW

 As it was difficult to raise funds to pay for the land, it was suggested that a Dayboro Show be held. A committee was formed with Norm Kelly as President, Eric Brander (Dayboro Butter Factory Manager) as Secretary and Charles Kennedy (E.S. & A. Bank Manager) as Treasurer.

A Ladies Auxiliary was also formed with Mrs. Chris Henzell as President, Mrs. Vicky Kelly as Secretary and Miss Vera Todd as Treasurer.

After more hard work from the people of the district, the first Show was held on the War Memorial Grounds on 13th October 1956, with more than 1000 people attending the one day event. The membership fee was One guinea ($2.10) and admission was 2/6 (25 cents).

Three young sisters were the start performers of the first Show. Marion (13), Margaret (11) and Betty (2 years 3 months) Mumford won 14 of the Show’s horse riding events. The eldest, Marion, won the Open Pony Hunt riding against adult horsemen.

The first Show was such a wonderful success that the second Show was extended to a two day event (Friday and Saturday) by adding several new sections and classes to the schedule.

The third year a Grand Show Ball was held in the Dayboro Public Hall on the Saturday night.

By the Silver Jubilee Show in 1980, the annual event had grown to a three day Show but in recent years it has gone back to a two day Show (Saturday & Sunday).

The Diamond Jubilee Show was held on 4th & 5th July 2015.

Dayboro show society logo

 

Load More
Something is wrong. Response takes too long or there is JS error. Press Ctrl+Shift+J or Cmd+Shift+J on a Mac.

Address

Our Address:

58 Edmonds Ct, Dayboro QLD 4521

GPS:

-27.1885266, 152.8204095

Telephone:
Contact Owner
Plan My Route