Council is preparing an Outdoor Recreation Plan to guide the Region’s development of outdoor recreation over the next twenty years. Council has previously prepared an Open Space Strategy which outlines the planning framework for recreation, sports and civic parks in the region over the next 20 years. The Outdoor Recreation Plan 2017-2036 will build on this strategy, focusing on the current and future planning for outdoor recreation throughout the Moreton Bay Region. The overall objective of the Outdoor Recreation Plan 2017-2036 is to guide the planning and provisioning of outdoor recreation and balance the Region’s environmental values with access to natural areas for recreation purposes.
To make sure the plan reflects the interests and needs of all our community, we want to hear from you! We would like to gain your input into what outdoor recreation activities you currently participate in, where you currently undertake the activity, the activities you would like to participate in if they were available, and any issues or opportunities for outdoor recreation in the Region. To help guide the planning going forward groupings of activities are proposed. These include trail based, water based, climbing based and aviation based.
There are a number of ways you can get involved in the development of this plan. This is the first round of consultation that Council will be undertaking. Please take the time to place a pin where you undertake outdoor recreation in the Places tab below and in addition please fill out our Survey. Workshops will also be conducted on July 10, 11 and 13 to gain further information from Outdoor Recreation users in the region.
First round of consultation 15 June – 14 July 2017
- Picnicking (bushland recreation parks)
- Bushwalking (recreational trails)
- Nature study (i.e. bird watching, photography)
- Orienteering, rogaining and geocaching
- Camping (where associated with other Outdoor Recreation activities)
- Cycling (mountain biking, trails and BMX)
- Horse-riding (horse trails)
- Swimming in the sea, rivers and lakes
- Kitesurfing, paddle boarding
- Canoeing and kayaking
- Abseiling, rock climbing
- Gliding, paragliding, parachuting and similar activities
- Flying model aircraft and remote control cars